Pages

Thursday, October 4, 2012

Running in Zamalek

If you know me, you know that running is a huge part of my life. It's something I do for myself, and always will. I started running when I went to school at GWU in Washington, DC. and really became a serious runner in Gainesville, FL. So naturally it's in my plan to run where ever I live, but Cairo has presented a challenging situation. While the majority of runners who move to Cairo may choose the treadmill over the street, this girl won't. I started the outside running process with hesitation. I was told "don't run without a guy" or "you're crazy". 

I'm a little over a month into my move to Cairo, and I have to say I couldn't be happier with my current running situation. Don't get me wrong, it's THE hardest place I have ever ran! People in Cairo don't really do the running outside thing, but the runs are only getting better. I'm starting to recongize the normal people on the street (shop keepers, security guards, police). I'm really learning how to navigate around the island, and it's super empowering. 

Just imagine two American girls running through the streets of Zamalek at 10pm. Sometimes I think we're crazy, but then I realize it's really not for everyone. We get to see such a diverse crowd of people: the couples on the banks of the Nile, the taxi drivers taking a break outside of their cars to talk, or the security guards outside the embassies. 

The pollution, people, cars, cats, smoke, and uneven pavement are all some of the daily obstacles I face while running, but I know these obstacles will make me a better runner. If you can run in Cairo, then you can run anywhere.

"There are clubs you can't belong to, neighborhoods you can't live in, schools you can't get into, but the roads are always open." - Nike

No comments:

Post a Comment