Pages

Saturday, October 6, 2012

Alexandria

Alexandria is a super chill place. What's not to love: the palm trees, the Mediterranean Sea, and everything is cheaper than Cairo. If you get a chance to visit Egypt, please don't leave without visiting Alexandria.We arrived the prior night, so we all knew the view outside our hostel windows was going to be so different from what we saw at night.
Photobucket

Photobucket

The water is so beautiful. It definitely brought back memories of the amazing beaches in Florida. I only spent two days in Alex, so I didn't get to all the tourist spots. I did go to the palace of King Farouk.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Later that night, some of use decided we need to ride scooters around the beach area. Like any crazy people would do in a country were its probably not safe for foreigners to be driving, we took to the streets. Not going to lie, I wasn't that good at driving a scooter. At a very slow pace, I actually hit some guy on a bicycle. I felt horrible, got situated on the scooter, and floored it. It was so cool. There is really no rhyme or reason to the way people drive here, but I call it controlled chaos. I'll do a post on traffic some other time. I will also do a post on the different kind of taxis in Alexandria some other time.

The Library of Alexandria

Photobucket

If you're really interested in the Library of Alexandria, google it. It's a pretty interesting place, with a lot going on. We went to buy the tickets to get in, and the guy at the window charged us the Egyptian price. FYI: Egyptians pay less to get into the exact same places as foreigners. I honestly don't have a problem with that system, but it was really cool when the guy charged us 2 EGP each.
2 EGP= $0.33

My amazing weekend in Alexandria consisted of: riding scooters, walking along the Mediterranean Sea, good food, great people, and cool places. Some of us took the train back home, while others took a minibus(not out of choice). Here's a picture of the train station.

Photobucket

I know it sounds weird, but I really did miss Cairo while I was gone. I walked out of Ramses Station into Cairo from my first road trip in Egypt, and felt home.



No comments:

Post a Comment