Pages

Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Bombs and Beirut

The students of AUC have our first major break this semester for the Eid. Eid El Adha, simply called the Eid, is a major Muslim holiday that translates into "the Feast of the Sacrifice". It's a major religious holiday to celebrate the willingness of Abraham to sacrifice his son Ishmael as an act of obedience to God, before God intervened with a sheep for the sacrifice instead.

I could really care less about why I have days off from school, but I do. We have a 5 day weekend and it's a very popular time in the Middle East to travel. Some of the other students are going to Greece, Spain, or Turkey. A friend and I booked our trip to Lebanon in advance, thinking all would be good in Beirut the week of Eid.  Unfortunately, a car bomb exploded in Beirut on Friday(October 19th) killing an anti-Syrian intelligence official and 7 others, and wounding 80 people. The people of Beirut called to the streets to protest the attack, blaming the Lebanese government's involvement in the Syrian Civil War. They've called for the resignation of the Prime Minister, Nijab Miqati.

I decided to change my flight to Amman, Jordan for the Eid because people in Beirut said we really wouldn't be able to see a lot (many places were closed due to the attack and the protests). I leave for Jordan tomorrow, and will definitely update you guys about the amazing things I get to see there.

No comments:

Post a Comment