Pages

Tuesday, August 28, 2012

The Pyramids!!!

So today AUC took the international students on a trip to Giza to see the Pyramids. I can't begin to explain this experience. It was literally breathtaking. I know people travel all over the world to visit the Pyramids, but I felt so lucky. It was so shocking to see the neighborhood that surrounded the area. I haven't traveled to a lot of the places in Cairo, but this was definitely the worst I've seen so far. This is a picture of a river(not the Nile) in the area next to one of the most amazing and historically significant places in the world..

Photobucket
While driving up to the Pyramids (which tower over the city below it), our guide warned us of the people who will try to sell you tourist gifts and camel rides. Prior to arriving in Egypt, I did a lot of research about the country, and one of the things I saw was the negative reaction from tourists towards the people selling things at the Pyramids. I've read other blogs that say "their trip was ruined" or "it was such a bad expereience". Seriously, I didn't bother me one bit. They really weren't that bad, and nothing was going to ruin my first(among many) trip there.

Photobucket
We got to go inside the smallest of the three Pyramids, which is called the Pyramid of Menkaure. It was so hot and stuffy, but such an amazing experience. Warning to those interested that suffer from claustrophobia, do not go inside. You have to climb up and down a makeshift staircase squatting down. It was a really good workout.

Photobucket
I really can't explain how amazing it was to visit the Pyramids today. All I can tell you, is that I recommend every single person in the world to visit it. It will make you realize how old the world really is. We don't have anything that can compare in the United States. I can't choose which was more amazing to see, the Great Wall of China or the Pyramids of Giza. Either way, I'd say I'm pretty lucky to have seen them both!

Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. This is my most jealous moment of all time.... The pyramids r def better than the great wall, both of which top the eiffle tower....

    ReplyDelete